Subject: [Leica] Problem with new to me M8
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:45:28 -0500

> Mark.. while I really do believe the M9 is a better choice (in some ways),
> there is a $4.5K or so difference in the prices right now....
>
> And I do not have, will not have, nor wish to spend an additional $4.5K in
> disposable income for a Digi-M.
>
> The choice was simple....   get an M8 or not get a Digi-M.
>
> And I believe for many, many amateur Leica enthusiasts, I am not alone.
>
> Yes, I wish it had a FF sensor, no IR filters, a menu to select lenses
> from,
> etc......  But the price difference is just too compelling.....
>
> The M8 is certainly a viable option for the Digi-M solution to a vast group
> of Leica shooters.....
>
> YMMV, especially if you are a PRO or get paid for your work.....  or ( at
> the risk of again being considered not PC) are a Rich Doctor, Lawyer , or
> Indian Chief.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i at earthlink.net

I would say you've got yourself a camera you've got it going for you  why
not use it?
Its in the past tense. Its YOUR camera its a DONE DEAL.
I'm just not going to recommend them for anybody's future.
For someone to tomorrow go  out and get one.
Its not something I'd like to  be right now just getting into.

I am in most of my life not using the latest best version of a camera.
I used a M6 not 7 or P.
I used a F2 not F3 through 6.
But I believe the M8 is a bit of an extreme example to put it mildly.
Its not like moving from an M3 to an M4 or a F4 to an F5.
I should find it very frustrating and be saving like crazy and even selling
off stuff to land a 9 as quickly as possible so I can upgrade my work . And
get a real Leica.  And put me in the ballgame . The M8 is like a prototype.
Made on a Friday afternoon. By guys  and gals in Solms who had a few frothy
German beers with lunch in the cafeteria.
I'm glad the cameras they're making now are like they can see straight.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Problem with new to me M8)