Subject: [Leica] Problem with new to me M8
From: richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:09:31 -0800

Mark is a man of strong conviction (I think I can say whatever I want
about Mark now, I suspect he filters my posts :-) ).

Anyway, if I have $7K? it depends on whether that $7K is on top of the
other $7K I want to spend on travel fund :-) If I have $14K, I will
buy a M9 and travel. If I have $7K, I will travel.

And as good a M9 is, its appeal is mainly to people who are either
rangefinder fan, which is a small minority in the scheme of things, or
rich people who want to return to the simpler times, but not quite as
simple as shooting film :-) So while Leica will sell as many M9 as it
can make, but it may not mean much since it is still a small number.
Taking over the pro photog market? I doubt it. If only a few pro
stayed with Leica in the 50s and 60s, why would they drop their IDs
and D3x now? The same arguments for and against rangefinder system
still applies. It's the same ballgame between SLR vs. RF and dSLR vs.
dRF. That has not changed. Take Doug Herr, he is one of the best Leica
shooter around, but take his DMR and give him a Leica M9, he will
probably beat you over the head with it and then trade his DMR back
:-)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Here is one from the not-very-many-thousand-yet people who have gone from
> M8 to M9. True, I do not pick up the M8 when I go out, I pick up the M9,
> but I, and -everybody- I know was delighted with the M8 results. No
> problem from day 1. I will take the M8 and filters as a backup when I
> travel, and a Panasonic GH1 with m4/3 to Leica adaptor, for if I need zoom
> or fancy video.
> Brilliant! Before, I just took the M8 and never had cause for regret.
>
> It does seem to me you are the only person on this list, maybe the world,
> with this opinion.
>
> Frank
>
> On 25 Jan, 2010, at 03:05, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>>> price now. They do work just the same. As far as I know you've never
>>> owned
>>> one? That's fine, you can form your own opinions based on whatever you've
>>> read but many thousands of owners and users disagree with you.
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff