Subject: [Leica] M8 / Digi-Cameras and dust
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:04:32 +0100

The smaller the aperture, the more spots you will find - I regularly
shoot a predominantly light subject with a small aperture - sky or a
piece of paper - to check for sensor spots.

To avoid having to use swabs and fluid, first shoot 2 to 5 shots before
and after using a blower and a brush (Arctic Butterfly) to find out
whether the spots are at the same location every time.

If they change location or disappear, they were caused by dust, if they
stay where they were in every shot, they are caused by something
sticking to the sensor surface. This means you'll have to get out the
swabs.

Never use swabs without having removed loose dust beforehand - you could
end up scratching your sensor.

Don't expect to be able to see spots on your sensor with the naked eye -
you'll hardly ever find them.

When viewing a shot with spots, remember that the sensor records the
image upside down - this means that a spot at the top of the picture is
at the bottom of the sensor.

Here's a series of shots before and after cleaning

First step:  use a blower to get off any loose dust.

Second step: (I agree) the Arctic Butterfly brushes are very good, and
pick of a lot of the more resistant dust.

Third step: if you still have sensor spots, the only remedy is swabs and
cleaning fluid.

My experience is that they work very well if you follow the instructions
and do it carefully. It often only gets the sensor really clean after 2
or even 3 passes with clean swabs each time.

Sensor spots to the right of the tower:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Bits+and+Pieces/Spots.jpg.html

First wipe - this can sometimes move a spot to a different part of the
sensor - to the right of the tower but closer to it:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Bits+and+Pieces/First_wipe.jpg.html

Second wipe:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Bits+and+Pieces/second_wipe.jpg.html

The remaining spots are birds ;-)

BTW: I'm very wary of things like lens pens when it comes to sensor
cleaning.

Douglas