Subject: [Leica] OT: Black Leica, black Rolex
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:10:05 -0500

> Hi Mark,
> the finish on Carbon fibre unpainted parts depends entirely on the resin
> content and the mould finish. It can be, and often is, very shiny. It will
> be
> less shiny with a lower resin content which should be stronger but is more
> difficult(read expensive) to make with consistent consolidation. OTOH one
> can
> always see the weave of the fabric. One of my acquaintances has a
> composites
> manufacturing business which mainly caters to the racing car industry. He
> quoted for the manufacture of chassis for both Mercedes and Porsche for
> their
> ultra high end road cars. Mercedes wanted it shiny, Porsche strong and
> light...
> As a person who has been using structural carbon for 34 years I never
> cease to
> be amazed by the fact that it is seen as a cosmetic finish by so many
> people.
> I prefer the look of woods myself...
> Frank D

Well I got a wood tripod well before I got my Gitzo Resin one. I went to
wood first. That wood tripod had some design problems. I may try a different
design.  Or a different company. A German one. Berlebach. Sold down the
street from me at B&H. Many models. My big Ries still in Portland made in
Seattle I think in a guys garage.
>From a car standpoint which I know close to nothing about unlike tripods and
cameras when I was shooting those cars the last two years the one which
intrigued me the most and I got the most interesting feedback from and
stayed with me the longest was the Morgan. With the wood Chassis  frame!  In
a million years I'd  never dream they'd make a car with a wooden Chassis.
Its how I would design a car if I ever tried to. And had been for decades
that design on the Morgan beyond being just a classic.
A Leica friend of mine from Brighton says if he had a dry garage he'd be
driving a Morgan. But his garage is a bit damp. And a lot of people in
England know all about damp garages and Morgan's not going together it
sounded like.
They ever try making a  car Chassis with springy Gitzo tripod legs?
Instead of  just the outside body  of a car?
Might be nice and springy like wood but be ok in the damp.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao) ([Leica] OT: Black Leica, black Rolex)