Subject: [Leica] Was shutter lag - now processing time
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:36:06 +0800

Hi Luggers,
I have been following the discussion about M8/9 shutter lag with
interest.
My M8 seems plenty fast to me - much like my M4 - the last film M that
I possess.
BUT, an area where the digital M's seem slow is in image processing.
Henning alluded to this in his post.
If you take three or four pictures in quick succession - (like in a
panorama - or tracking motor
bikes - see my Bali pictures) the processor in my M8 grinds away for
several seconds processing
the shots - before you can take any more. This doesn't really cramp my
shooting style because I don't
usually shoot machine gun style with the M8 - but it is annoying when
compared with the Nikon D700
where the processor is big enough to continuously shoot about 40
frames and I have never
been able to choke the camera. When I borrowed the M9 for a day in
Seattle at the LHSA meeting
I found its processing to be even slower than the processing on my M8
- and it annoyed me.
Why would Leica use the same processor in a camera with 80% more pixels?
Cheers
Howard
(who likes his M8 despite its foibles and LOVES his D700)

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Was shutter lag - now processing time)
Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Was shutter lag - now processing time)