Subject: [Leica] IMG: Weston Beach and This Week's Blog
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:30:46 -0500

> Scheimpflug has nothing to do with perspective control. Your mixing apples
> with oranges. Scheimpflug when you tilt, not when you shift. Shift is for
> perspective control. Scheimpflug is for DOF *control*.
>
> And it works for 35mm. I can get down and get a pebble in focus 2ft in
> front
> of me as well as the rocks at the cove entrance. You *cannot* do that
> without
> a bit of tilt. It isn't sharp all the way. 35 or 8x10...
>
> Try it; you'll like it.
>  Bob Adler

Scheimpflug  is for getting everything in focus I'm sure I didn't make that
clear did you really think I didn't know that? I
But a shift lens will tilt and shift so both things are part of the story.
Perspective and focus issues.

What we are talking about is all of a sudden we need features normally
thought to be need into  large sheet film photography in small roll film
photography. "its not as sharp?" I was not aware of a sharpness problem.
We have a new tool to  solve a problem we didn't know we had.
I've never seen a  print shot from roll film that was sharper becaue of a
tilt shift lens than it would be from a more traditional lens. Its all a bit
new.
In my mind now is a show I saw black and white from Brett Weston's work at
the Portland art museum in the early 80's printed on Agfa Brovira. Amazing
blacks I think printed with Amidol.
Shot with a SL66 medium format Agfapan 25 16x20 prints.
Was he tilting for Scheimpflug? I don't think so.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] IMG: Weston Beach and This Week's Blog)
Reply from disfromage at ameritech.net (Richard Wasserman) ([Leica] IMG: Weston Beach and This Week's Blog)