Subject: [Leica] Hassy CFV workflow suggestions?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:40:21 -0500

> George I read that CS was first released more than six years ago. That's a
> very long time ago in software (and digital camera) develpment.
> It does sound as though Lightroom is a better choice for you anyway however
> it is not immune to updates naturally. LR3 is on the horizon currently.
> I can understand that you don't necessarily want all of the feature sets
> (and expense) of newer versions and you can ignore them for the most part.
> However the continual release of new proprietary Raw formats is one factor
> that will guarantee that new Raw processing updates will be required (in LR
> and PS) and the new ones are not typically added by Adobe to the older
> versions. Conversion to the DNG format will assist. The convertor is free.
>  Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

To me its not something to think about you've already got LR2 or Photoshop
Cs3 you UPGRADE to the next number its not that expensive and always worth
it. Adobe does not fool around.  Sure they'll add things you don't need to
the software but they also make the things you do with every image easier
and give you more than one way to do it. Maybe a better way one you like
more.
When its time to upgrade from CS3 to CS4 its 190 dollars.
You're not going to get any decent software from scratch for 190 dollars.
As if they're be any reason to even consider it.
Its not time to go looking for new software.

I've been upgrading Photoshop for 20 years ever since the very first version
as has most of my photographer friends. Sure plenty of people as of late are
often not getting past Lightroom but for anything critical they do. And its
the same raw filter which is getting to be the main thing anyway.

You guys if someone gave you a Ferrari you'd go looking for the cheapest
tires in town to put on it. They you'd go looking for the cheapest gas.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner