Subject: [Leica] Tina's photo criticism discussion
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:01:07 -0500

I side with Nathan on this one. There is TOO much going on to be easily
comprehended. It is a picture that must be studied rather than grasped.
Further, the woman's eyes direct the viewer out of the picture destroying
the compositional circle. What is going on that the viewer cannot see?
Editing is indeed subjective and reflects the editor's agenda. Photographs
have a function. Is this photo an artistic statement, a social document, or
a call for action? Will it appear in an academic journal, a newspaper, a
travel book, a photo exhibition or a glossy magazine like National
Geographic? I like the picture but it leaves me a bit confused.

Larry Z

- - - - -

Tina writes:

This is one that made the final selection in the editing workshop I

attended.  Maggie Steber, the editor, likes photos with lots going on,

especially on the edges of the photo.

http://www.pbase.com/image/121968705

- - - - -

Nathan writes:

To give a completely honest answer, Tina, I think this picture is below

your usual very high standard, and if I had been editing, it would not have

made the final selection given the number of images to choose from. Just

goes to show that Maggie's editing simply reflects her personal taste.

- - - - -

Hoppy writes:

Hey, now we have the start for a good picture critique discussion (with

Tina's consent of course). What doesn't work for you in this one, Nathan?

I was especially impressed with how the circle of children and chickens seem

to be all looking to the mother for support (sustenance) All of the clutter

decribes the environment for me.

Replies: Reply from neal at photoneal.com (Neal Friedenthal) ([Leica] Tina's photo criticism discussion)