Subject: [Leica] Paging Tina Manley - LUF book
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:21:10 -0500

Steve,

It's funny it never occurred to me to wonder what the words meant. It's not
the meaning of the words but the grace and fluidity (and confidence and
dynamism) with which they're drawn and with which they make their appearance
on the paper that matters. Or so I've gathered from disparate places --
mainly Japanese and Chinese film. It's not a narrative. The combination
emphasizes several things, i fyou think about it: Each form demands
spontaneity and improvisation within a strict disciplinary 'frame' as it
were.  But I would venture that the deeper desire to combine the calligraphy
with the photograph entails an effort to gracefully bring opposite things
together: a very practiced tactile manual creative process with a highly
technical or at least mechanical one; the supremely traditional with the
ultra modern. This is the great dilemma of contemporary life for anyone who
is trying to maintain contact with any sort of harmonious tradition --
distant or near -- in the flood path of late capitalist consumer society.  I
mean, to simplify: it seems to me Richard is saying: Look, I am this AND
this. Not one on Tuesday and the other on Wednesday.

I have an argument with the color of the ink but of course the web is not a
venue through wihch to judge color.  Somehow though the red feels like it's
insistently, forcefully holding the two elements apart rather than helping
them blend, at least at the edges. But I'm sure Richard has experimented
with the color and knows what he wants.

Vince