Subject: [Leica] Paging Tina Manley - LUF book
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:02:42 -0800

On Mar 12, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Vince Passaro wrote:

> Steve,
>
> It's funny it never occurred to me to wonder what the words meant. It's not
> the meaning of the words but the grace and fluidity (and confidence and
> dynamism) with which they're drawn and with which they make their
> appearance
> on the paper that matters. Or so I've gathered from disparate places --
> mainly Japanese and Chinese film. It's not a narrative. The combination
> emphasizes several things, i fyou think about it: Each form demands
> spontaneity and improvisation within a strict disciplinary 'frame' as it
> were.  But I would venture that the deeper desire to combine the
> calligraphy
> with the photograph entails an effort to gracefully bring opposite things
> together: a very practiced tactile manual creative process with a highly
> technical or at least mechanical one; the supremely traditional with the
> ultra modern. This is the great dilemma of contemporary life for anyone who
> is trying to maintain contact with any sort of harmonious tradition --
> distant or near -- in the flood path of late capitalist consumer society.
> mean, to simplify: it seems to me Richard is saying: Look, I am this AND
> this. Not one on Tuesday and the other on Wednesday.
>
> I have an argument with the color of the ink but of course the web is not a
> venue through wihch to judge color.  Somehow though the red feels like it's
> insistently, forcefully holding the two elements apart rather than helping
> them blend, at least at the edges. But I'm sure Richard has experimented
> with the color and knows what he wants.

good points and perhaps explaining what Richard is after...

but I'm a simple guy and I ask, if the image says it,  then words can only
detract, so what do words do that essentially no one understands?

How is this not to detract from an image , especially when the image is
good,  is bw, and the symbols/words are in red?

Perhaps I am bordering on unfair, but it seems to be an example of self
conscious salesmanship,

Steve

Steve