Subject: [Leica] Preserving Digital Information in Archives
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:02:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 George Lottermoser <imagist3 at mac.com>wrote:

>clearly we'd be well advised to
>make prints of images
>we actually want people to
>"see" in the future.
This is one reason, I think, that I'm happier shooting B&W film negatives
for pictures
that mean the most to me.  Kodachrome was my choice when I wanted color, but
that's
kaput, so now I tend to photograph mostly in monochrome , except the autumn
months,
when color adds something.
And Vick Ko wrote:

>I have a "I don't really care" feeling when I shoot a digital photo, or
>when I'm off-loading
>the data onto the hard drive.
Me too.  I tried walking around with just my 30D while I ran some errands
yesterday, but
ended up deleting the few pictures I took, getting this feeling in my gut
that color was
superfluous, and that I wanted to have a tangible end product of my efforts,
not a transient
collection of 0's and 1's.

It seems I hardly ever look at my digital pictures after they're on a hard
drive and CD's, so
it's almost like they are gone already, but I enjoy flipping through prints
or slide sleeves.
Even contact sheets are fun.  And once in a while I'll pull out the
Ektagraphic and project
some images.

As George says, YMMV.   ;~)

Alan