Subject: [Leica] Beware HCB wannabes
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:45:29 -0500

No offense taken (on my part).

I suspect that no more "pervs" (as a percentage of the population)
exist today than in any other period. I also suspect that we can
indeed "be [ too ] careful;" if or when driven by irrational fears.
Assuming that our neighbors have perverted intentions simply because
they carry a camera and enjoy using it to document their life
experiences seems irrational to me.

As I understand it, the vast majority of sex offenders and child
molesters attack members of their own families and/or social groups
(friends, church or school members, etc.); victims whom they have
relatively easy access to. Anecdotally: the victims whom I've known
personally have fit this assumption. Also, the "perv in the park" may
not even be into photography - doesn't even carry a camera.

Use common sense and neighborly conversation; get to know
"strangers;" whether they carry or use cameras; or, conversely, if
you are the one carrying and using the camera. Trade photographs with
one another.

Certainly with digital cameras and camera phones the whole process of
grabbing shots and distributing them via phone, internet, etc. has
somehow made the the capture and use of the still and video image
into suspicious media. In the days of film one had to invest in the
film and processing - many non-professional labs would report images
that operators thought nefarious - distribution costs via mail - etc.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com