Subject: [Leica] three questions: C41 b/w film; Mamiya DM22; why no US version of GF1 w 20mm kit?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 01:40:20 -0400

> Rabs:
> Consider the amateur. The acolyte. Consider apartment life. Full time
> teaching. Plus writing. Plus child. No time. No money.
>
> Yeah, ideal world and some day and all i want a. to learn how to do it, and
> get better at it; and b. to have a darkroom to do it iin.
>
> Until then: you saw what the B&H pro lab did to that image I showed you.
> That was at $13 a roll to process and put on disk and they fucked up both.
> not uncommon thing.
>
> I'd rather have CVS fuck it up for $6 a roll.
>
> Also I saw some lab in Kansas that looked good charging $7 a roll. By
> looked
> good I mean their marketing used language that made one think they worked
> with professionals and know what they're doing.
>
> Anyone know the name of that place? I seem to have lost the bookmark.
>
> Vince

You guys are amateurs In avocation mode but you're spending huge time and
effort and money getting just the right lens cap and neck strap from that
guy you know in Switzerland And just the right lens and camera not the
obvious choice but the exquisite over the top cash value low tech choice.
To then bring the stuff you shoot with it into Walgreens is a joke.
And not  un intentional. There's some real aggression being expressed.
How much effort would require lifting ones figure and using these tools in
the manner in which they deserve?
B&H is not a pro lab by the way did you think it was?
B&H is a camera store.
Do serious amateurs and pros  bring their film into a camrea store?
Not the ones I used to know before the internet they didn't.

I was not out of college when I stopped bringing my film into camera stores.
Places I've dealt with are Duggal and Modernage, CRC Color Resource Center,
Inc. 22/5-6 next to Calumet.
They've not given me back a stain instead of film.
Fotorush Digital I've got some ok back from not quite a pro lab and it may
depend on which outlet.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] three questions: C41 b/w film; Mamiya DM22; why no US version of GF1 w 20mm kit?)