Subject: [Leica] Can History Repeat? [was Re: New Digital (?) Rangefinder Rumor]
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:24:51 -0400

That's part of it Mark.  It's also a question of value and being on top of
the technology development curve.  When the Leica first appeared with a
built-in, and later coupled, rangefinder and exceptional optics it was on
the top of the technology heap and gave photojournalists and amateurs an
effective alternative to the bulky 2=1/4 square and 4X5 cameras that had set
the standard for best performance until then.

If I'm remembering history right, it took a long time for the Leica to be
accepted as a proper photojournalist tool since many saw it's small format
as distinctively inferior to the larger negatives in common use at the time.
 Eventually it was, of course, and photographic history was made.  It gave
photographers a new tool that allowed a new approach to photography.

The M9 is stuck in history.  It won't do that and, I strongly suspect, Leica
will never become the dominant factor in photojournalism it once was based
on it.

The current top technology is auto-focus, digital sensors with hi-ISO
performance far exceeding that available from film, and firmware correction
of some optical lens characteristics.   And, it's all coming from Japan and
the US, not Germany.  This new technology currently provides the highest
value in cameras.  Unfortunately it's mostly available in big, bulky DSLRs.

So, can history repeat itself?  Sure.  Someone may finally come up with an
alternative to the DSLR that is smaller, lighter and more than flexible
enough to meet the needs of today's photojournalist and quite a few of those
big DSLRs may give way to it.  There's nothing sacrosanct about the 35mm
format, after all.  If a smaller sensor camera gave "good enough"
performance it could easily succeed, particularly if it allowed the kind of
transformation the original Leica did.

Micro 4/3rds cameras have sensors that bear about the same size relationship
to 35mm film that 35mm film bears to 2-1/4 square.  Someday a small-format
camera that is "good enough" for daily professional use and is the game
changer the original Leica was may appear, but the M9 isn't it.

Could it come out of Germany?   Sure, maybe Leica has something up it's
sleeve we don't know about.  More likely it will come from Ricoh, Samsung,
Olympus or Panasonic, who are already pushing the design/performance
envelope for today's small cameras.

End of rant...  ;-)

Best.

Regards,