Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3rds
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:43:12 -0400 (EDT)

Henning Wulff wrote:

>If I'm standing on a boat and have to shoot at 1/30 of a second I'll
>generally get a higher quality image with the 100-400 IS than with a
>similar weight and cost 400/5.6 without IS. That's a valid
>comparison. If we're talking about shooting on land with support
>available and comparing the 100-400 IS with a 280/4 Apo-Telyt, that's
>not a valid comparison for a number of reasons.

Why is the land comparison not valid if the boat one is?

>The IS portion is a compromise.

Exactly right.  There's no perfect solution, and a great many people have
chosen to sacrifice some potential image quality for the reduced motion
blur, and I can see how that would result in better overall image quality in
some circumstances.  I'd rather risk more camera motion blur - because
subject motion often limits usably long shutter speeds - and not reduce the
lens' optical potential.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com