Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3rds
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:51:27 -0700

At 6:43 PM -0400 3/31/10, Doug Herr wrote:
>Henning Wulff wrote:
>
>>If I'm standing on a boat and have to shoot at 1/30 of a second I'll
>>generally get a higher quality image with the 100-400 IS than with a
>>similar weight and cost 400/5.6 without IS. That's a valid
>>comparison. If we're talking about shooting on land with support
>>available and comparing the 100-400 IS with a 280/4 Apo-Telyt, that's
>>not a valid comparison for a number of reasons.
>
>Why is the land comparison not valid if the boat one is?

Hi Doug,

The reason I said the 'boat' example is a valid comparison is that
the lenses are of equal speed (and approximate cost) and neither can
be used with any other stabilizing system other than the shock
absorption of your body.

The 'land' comparison isn't valid as laid out because you're
comparing a $1500 lens against a $3500 or so lens, and when you allow
tripod or other serious bracing options IS is taken out of the
equation.

In your situation, Doug, where you take the time to properly
research, stalk and approach a creature and use the best lens and
best support IS becomes irrelevant unless you are forced to suddenly
take a shot with your 280/4 plus converter handheld at 1/30 second.
Then IS _might_ be useful.

I've shot with 400mm+ lenses since the early 60's, and have had 400mm
lenses of various qualities. The best lens optically I've had is the
first generation of 400/5.6 Nikkor P-C that had exotic glass but had
not yet been marketed as 'ED'. No Nikon 400mm lens since had
outperformed it, and I got many excellent shots with it. All those
excellent shots were from a tripod or at 1/500sec. I sometimes got
technically excellent shots at 1/125, but now with the 100-400 Canon
and IS I can get the same percentage at 1/15, which is a three stop
improvement. No, the 100-400 is not nearly up to the standards of the
Nikkor, but it is a lot better at 1/15 and in fact any handheld shot
less than 1/250, it focusses closer and has a much more manageable
throw. In other words, it handles way better.

As a 400, the 400/6.8 Telyt handled way better than the 400 Nikkor
but the optical quality of the Nikkor was massively better, so around
1976 I got the Nikkor and was happy with the quality of the images
but frustrated with the handling.

I have seen results from some of the better Nikon and Canon lenses
with IS (or VR) and don't see much real world compromise in image
quality from them, so high quality is possible. Are the Leica lenses
better? Probably, but then so is the 50 Summilux ASPH compared with
any other 50, all of which don't have IS.

IS is not a panacea but in many circumstances can allow you to get an
image that you couldn't get otherwise. That's a major breakthrough.
Many types of photography depend on getting the shot at all at some
level, and the ultimate technical quality doesn't make/break the
shot. Here IS can be a huge aid, whether or not image quality is
compromised, which I still believe is minimal in an of itself.

In my formal architectural work IS is of course pointless, and
strangely enough none of my 4x5 lenses have it. Neither do my 35mm
based tilt and shift lenses.

Regarding the in-body and in-lens debate, both sides have merit. To
date the in-lens method has bee slightly more effective, with the
in-body method being less expensive if you have a number of lenses
and more versatile. As far as image quality degradation, both systems
open the possibility for more quality control issues. In my opinion
that's a toss-up.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design