Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3rds
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:55:52 -0400 (EDT)

Vince Passaro wrote:

> Ok you both know what you're talking about and are disagreeing about what
> compromises seem most favorable to you and your shooting. So here's a
> question: Canon was advertising somewhere recently about how the IS is *in
> the lens* where it "ought to be". ?I.e., they were turning the possible
> marketing problem of not having it in their cameras into a bragging point.
>
> So if you don't like it in the lens, why *not *have it in the camera
> (Doug)?

As long as the camera can maintain accurate planar positioning of the sensor
I don't have a problem with it in the body.  Given their investment in the
technology, Canon's statement about where it 'ought to be' seems a little
self-serving, or you might say they're trying to make lemonade out of
lemons.  As I wrote earlier, in the lens was the only option in the film
era, but we're beyond that now.

> Clearly some comapnies/designers think it's best to put it in the
> lenses and others are putting it in the cameras... What does this imply?))

Different design theories.  There isn't a 'right' or 'wrong', there are
often multiple means of accomplishing a goal (in this case, camera
steadiness).  Sometimes due to history or marketing one method will become
more popular than another but that doesn't mean it's the 'right' way, just
that it's popular.  There will often be circumstances where one approach to
the problem will have advantages over another and other circumstances where
the the first approach fails or has disadvantages.

An example of this is in many automotive components.  Restraint systems
differ, several fuel types are available, drive systems and body styles
differ.  To claim that one design is the correct way of making a car (or
camera) is short-sighted and doesn't consider needs and uses other than
one's own.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com