Subject: [Leica] OT: Best Film Scanner for Black and White
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:57:23 -0400

That's the same setup I use; a first version Dimage II for 35mm and an
Epson 1600 Expression for larger formats. As someone mentioned earlier,
scanning isn't just plug and play if you want really good results. I'm
not sure that I've gotten the most out of either scanner, even though
I've been using both for years.

I thought about getting a Nikon 8000, or even an Imacon. I even passed
on a inexpensive used 8000 with glass carriers a couple of years back
(which I sort of regret). Truth is that I'm just not that committed to
film scanning. I'd rather use my D3 to make enlargements from 120 and
4x5, rather than go the scanning route. If I'm going to scan and make
small prints from larger formats, the Epson still works just fine. I use
a glass neg carrier -- the one I use on my D3 -- when I do critical
scanning (versus proofs) on the Epson flatbed. It does make a
difference.

I don't really like to mix digital and analog. It's one or the other
from start to finish. I enjoy the analog process. More effort, but
sometimes worth it. A good 8x10 analog print from a 4x5 neg has a wow
factor, and is still a sight to behold. I guess that holds true of any
size print from 4x5.

Dave R