Subject: [Leica] OT: Why God Made UV Filters
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:32:21 +0100

I have worked in motor racing all my life, F1 mostly. During the last fuel
crisis there was much heart searching about whether it was appropriate to
race cars. A quick calculation showed that all the cars in all the races of
the World Championship in a year consumed a touch more fuel than -one-
transatlantic Boeing 747 flight...
It turns out that sport using the biggest amount of fuel, amongst those
checked, was Soccer, and it is the fan's cars driving to a huge number of
matches per week worldwide which consume it, not the participants.
BTW you perhaps unwittingly made an interesting point about the demographic
of sports fans. In the USA motor sport is a "blue-collar" sport, NASCAR and
Drag racing, in other countries it is a "white-collar" sport, and means
Karts followed by single-seaters. This is -very- noticeable when you travel
worldwide in the business, and is the main reason for only sporadic World
Championship events being held in the USA. It is too expensive for most US
racing fans to stomach, and too "low-class" for Americans who can afford it
to consider. Having said that there is a tiny but very knowledgeable and
enthusiastic core of F1 supporters in the US!
cheers,
Frank

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] OT: Why God Made UV Filters)
Reply from rclark01 at comcast.net (Robert Clark) ([Leica] OT: Why God Made UV Filters)