Subject: [Leica] Return to photography
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 10:52:06 -0700

After after between 60 and 70 years of amateur photography and
darkroom work, I burned out about five years after fulfilling a
lifetime ambition and acquiring a Leica M6 TTL. I had always done B &
W but on returning from an eight-year stay in England in 1980, I
decided to start color processing. First, printing Kodachrome slides.
Then, realizing that if my object was to end up with prints, I should
switch to color negs, I stuck to that from then on.

I was an avid follower of the lug until I burned out from too much
time in the darkroom. I remember the time I was upset by having a
half-dozen undeveloped rolls of film and reading Tina Manley's
complaint about 300 such rolls! Finally, I lost my darkroom in favor
of an extra bathroom--I've heard that story before.

Decided finally to cave in and go digital. Bought a Nikon P & S and
Lightroom just to get the feel of digital. Being a retired computers
software professional, I had been reluctant to get involved with yet
another computer technology. Realizing that I could live with
digital, my first impulse was to buy a full-frame Nikon or Canon SLR.
But remembering how much I enjoyed using the Leica, and that once I
had it, I did use any of my other nine cameras, I finally decided
that I should get an M9 (I'm 87 and you just can't take it with you!)

I have a question for the group, and hope I'm not violating the
Friday-only protocol by posing it: My M6 is in mint condition as far
as I can tell. What is a fair price for it a) if I sell it to a
store, and b) if I sell it privately?

Herb
--
Herbert Kanner