Subject: [Leica] I shattered the sensor glass; mea culpa
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:26:14 +0900

I have estimates in from the Leica agency in Tokyo, as well as from
Solms.

Solms =  c. 1,200 Euros

Tokyo =  c. 180,000 yen (1,535 Euros)

So getting it repaired in Japan would probably cost more.  Posting the
camera, insured and well-packed, to Germany from Japan would only cost
the equivalent of about 20 dollars.

I imagine, based on a suggestion from Geoff, that the technicians at
Solms might send it back CLA'd in a more thorough way than I might
expect from Tokyo.  I can't be sure of that though.

However, I also imagine that the folks in Germany are busier than in
Tokyo.  Mr Moriya assured me of a two week turnaround.  From my
experience of service in Japan, when people say two weeks, it usually
means it might be done and returned by one week.

I'm just waiting for a reply from Ms Frankl to my question asking if
they could accept my M8 in part-exchange for a refurbished M8/M8.2.

Peter

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] I shattered the sensor glass; mea culpa)