Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Shattered M8 sensor glass update (780 Euros) + soft focus confusion
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 00:40:14 +0900

Ach Ja, ANDREA, nicht Angela!  Danke schoen, Geoff!  And thanks for
your patient help.

That website about DIY RF adjusting is not very clear to me, and it
redirects to another site where the English is very unclear and
besides which, rather sparse, so I'll not try it myself.

Frank, thanks for your opinion.  I do understand your point.  Indeed,
I looked at my negatives through a loupe (an inverted 50mm Summicron)
and saw what 'seemed' to be good test results to me.  However, judging
sharpness on a 35mm negative, taken with a 35mm lens on a test using a
5mm wide tape measure, where one needs to see actual millimeter marks
from distances between 50cm and 340cm might tax anybody's eyes.

I scanned the negatives in order to see the details better.  A
millimeter scale on a thin tape measure recorded on a small proportion
of a frame of 35mm film is very hard to judge with a loupe alone.  The
scanned images gave me the data I needed to see in order to make a
judgment.  I understand that assessing the sharpness of a negative or
slide through a loupe is advisable when what you have in focus is a
decent sized subject occupying a decent part of the frame, but when
you need to judge mere millimeters, shooting an f/1.2 lens wide open,
from 3.4 metres away, it really is a different story.  At least that
is what this experience has shown me.

A focus discrepancy that might have been a possible outcome of
scanning would have been a global focus discrepancy, i.e. fairly
constant across the whole frame.  It would not alter the focal shifts
recorded on different parts of the film frame itself.  I mean, it
could not alter the depth of the field in the frame already
photographed in the sense of precisely where focus began to become
acceptable, where it was peak, and where it began to blur out again.
For example, if your TV goes blurry while watching a movie, you can
still see what the cinematographer was focussing on, and what the
depth of field was.  Just the whole image has a global blur added atop
of it, but in a flat, over the surface way, not in a perspectival, 3D
way that the original camera only could have rendered onto the film.
All that I really needed to note was at how many centimeters along the
tape measure the focus began to appear sharp, at what point it was at
its sharpest, and at how many centimeters it began to blur out of
sharpness again.  All that data was in each negative.  Even if
scanning added a general out-of-focus blur to the negatives, which it
actually didn't to any noticeable degree, I would still have been able
to recognize the three important data in each frame, i.e. the two
thresholds of acceptable focus and the actual focal plane intersecting
the tape measure somewhere in between.

If you'd like to see more clearly what I mean, the test photos have
been uploaded here and speak for themselves (dull viewing though they
are):  http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=test+shots&w=73557746%40N00&s=rec

Please note, these are all very much cropped, and reveal much more
detail than the eye would be able to see through a loupe.  I am happy
I followed your advice, thank you, about viewing the negatives through
a loupe, but I could not view enough detail to judge the sharpness and
blur threshold lines, especially on the 35 mm Nokton photos at the
farther distances.

It might be possible, Frank, that I still have not really grasped your
point, please enlighten me if so, especially if the conclusions I have
made about my lenses and cameras are in error because of something in
your point that I have not understood.

All the best,

Peter