Subject: [Leica] 21mm f1.4 Summilux - the next "must have?"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:22:11 -0400

> The 21f1.4 has become my most used lens.   I went to LeMans France with
> a 12, a 21, and a 35.  Don't recall using the 35 at all.  Used the 12 a
> little.  (I had an X1 that did some duties a 35 would have done.)
>
> Something to think about is do you want the 21 or the 24.
>
> Historically, Leica didn't make a 24, there was a 28 and a 21.
>
> Now, you can get lenses down to 12, and Leica makes them down to what,
> 16?
>
> But the 21f1.4 and 24f1.4 are ultra-fast and very wide.
>
> Since I often shoot the 21 without the accessory finder (point and guess
> or center with the finder and guess) I sometimes wonder if the 24 (which
> is probably easy to guesstimate with the main finder) might not also be
> very good.
>
> In a few days I'll finish a sofobomo book, and post the link here since
> it's all Leica shots.
> (Many with the 21f1.4)

The current 24 and 21 ASPH's are in a way sister lenes which work well as a
team which was what I used to do. I'd go back and forth between them. And
you had to look real hard to make sure you had the one on the camera you
thought you did. And make sure you were using the right view finder thingie.
The 21 is a bit heavier but otherwise identical. It saws "21" on it.
The 24 was the first of the new breed of ASPH lenes made by Leica using
cutting edge technologies so the price did not go through the roof and this
for me revolutionized Leica shooting. I'd go from the 24 to the 21 and back
again.
The 21mm focal lengh attained classicness with the use of the Schneider
Super Angulon f4 then f3.4 for some a main or only reason to have a Leica
hanging off ones neck. Their main camera might be an early Nikon F.

Here's a shot I did with my 21 ASPH.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/060929_lhsa_wetz_158.jpg.html
The dome in cologne.
Or K?lner Dom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne_Cathedral

The Cologne Cathedral was of the very first things a Leica was ever pointed
at by Barnack. He was able to shoot it from a ways off. There were less
buildings.

But now, Vick its not 16mm but 18 which defines the preferred outer limit
18mm f/3.8 Super-Elmar-M Aspherical
Making the use of the 21 focal length in a way mediocre. Or medium
something. ... Not the bee's knees.

Though you could use a Super Wide Angle/Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm
f/4 Aspherical Manual Focus Lens (6-Bit, Updated for Digital)
Leica's answer to the ultra wide angle zooms which have captured the
imagination and real world workflo of a huge percentage of working shooters.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] 21mm f1.4 Summilux - the next "must have?")