Subject: [Leica] Photoshopping for Truth? (and a sneaky real estate FS Friday)
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:47:35 -0500

Has anyone ever looked at The Economist before this week?
The only point I have to make is that this publication has used
artistic license on their covers for 150 years.
Every visual cover they have produced has been a visual editorial
comment.
They have never, to my knowledge, produced a "news photo" cover
(I'm sure a few exceptions can be found - but their rule is to
"create" a compelling cover).

In my personal opinion editorial cartoons, editorial illustrations,
satire, and humor,
produced by thoughtful, professional writers, illustrators, designers
and photographers
can get a lot closer to "truth" than simply documenting some
rectangle chopped out of reality.

The Economist has won awards over decades for their professional,
editorializing cover designs.
And for very good reason.

It's just a damn picture surrounded by typography.
and it lies no more or less than the full frame chopped out of time
and space.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com