Subject: [Leica] Macro
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:10:56 -0700

George, I've found the 5DII to be a vast
improvement over the 5D in these sort of
situations. I don't have an Ultima but do have
the 17 and 24 Canon TSE lenses. If you compose
and focus only on the image coming to you by way
of the mirror you really con't use the tilt
function on these lenses. On the other hand, in
magnified Live View mode accurate tilts are a
piece of cake. I've done a lot of table top stuff
with LF, and I wish I had had something like
this. It truly is a revelation, and no dark cloth
and loupes required while hot lights are burning
into your ears.

Live View on this camera (and the m4/3 cameras
I'm familiar with) is accurate enough to
realistically and correctly measure and judge the
effects of focus shift in various lenses, let
alone accurately set up tilts or focus macro
objects. The fact that the screen is as bright at
f/16 as at f/2.8 is a huge help.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design