Subject: [Leica] TSA carry ones, tripods & light stands allowed?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:54:12 -0400

I think a Gitzo metal tripod made of aircraft aluminum has some kind of
dangerous look to it. Remember the  orignal "The Day of the Jackal " with
Edward Fox he tries to get Charles de Gaulle with a gun hidden in tubing
like that. Actually the tubing was the dissembled gun. Maybe they all saw
that movie.  It was made in 1973 though.

Much less so plastic. I mean resin... Or carbon whatever. Which is what I
mainly use now. You'd never guess it was worth more than the camera on top
of it. And if you hit somebody over the head with it they'd barely know it.
A Sunpak tripod made of cheap punched out folded over metal looks like a
foolish toy.
What the weapon is is the ability to do serious photography. Regardless of
lighting conditions. Most any tripod will give you that.

Me if I had 1000 dollars for a camera kit I'd spend:

400 on the tripod
300 on the lens
200 on the camera.
That's the bottom line as to where I am at.

--
Mark William Rabiner
mark at rabinergroup.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Jackal_(film)

> From: "J. Newell" <john.o.newell at comcast.net>
> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:42:07 +0000 (UTC)
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] TSA carry ones, tripods & light stands allowed?

About half the time I'm told my tripod is a weapon and that I have to check
> it.? This varies, very inconsistently, from airport to airport and day to
> day.? You may get a similar reaction.

John Newell

----- Original