Subject: [Leica] What are the rumors around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 14:29:58 -0400

The R  system is not coming back. And its not hanging out on the Moon with
Elvis and Marilyn. It's time to move on. You can put your R glass on a nikon
if you really have any left over folks like Dave does and it means that much
to you.
The M and S system has it covered. They are the best camera systems in the
world. They require financing.

--------------------
Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com

> From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com>
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:34:58 +0100
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] What are the rumours around Leica and Photokina? WAS :
> Leica annual report
>
> Aha! The technology to allow less of an error using rangefinder style
> lenses
> on a digital sensor got developed. It is still not perfect though.
> In the case of the R it seems the problem is economic, not enough potential
> customers to make the camera profitable. This I understand, the Dslr market
> has a huge selection manufactured in sufficient quantity for the price to
> be
> competitive. I hear Canon and Nikon subsidise their 5 grand pro bodies by
> the
> profit made on the consumer items. Combine the likely much reduced
> potential
> market for the Leica, lets face it most dslr customers expect autofocus and
> much cheaper lenses, and the absence of consumer model profits to subsidise
> the R&D and I can see the business plan...
> The S2 is a bit of a gamble, perhaps, the R not a gamble at all...
> Frank Dernie
>
> On 4 Aug, 2010, at 12:29, Tina Manley wrote:
>
>> But Leica also said repeatedly that a digital M was impossible ;-)
>>
>> Tina
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at
>> gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Why would they want to compete in the sharkpool of dSLRs. Keep
>>> an eye out for whatever the 'suitable solution' proves to be for owners
>>> of
>>> lenses but Leica has said repeatedly that it won't be a digital SLR from
>>> Leica. I'm sure that they would sell some to R lens owners but they're
>>> not
>>> convinced that is a sufficient demand on its own. With apologies to the
>>> Doug
>>> Herrs of the group ;-)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff