Subject: [Leica] Amundsen's 100 anniversary - a very long post
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:42:22 -0400

  Another slightly different book:

Admiral Byrd's "Alone" is light on the exploration end of the story, but
harrowing regarding the physical effects of extreme cold and the
psychological effects of extended solitude and darkness.  Byrd's
expedition, taking place between the wars, was in a time of airplanes,
radios and mechanization, yet after an unforeseen accident, the factors
of survival were just the same as for the earlier explorers.  i
recommend it as a quick read of an extraordinary ordeal.

-rei