Subject: [Leica] Used M9 prices
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:45:45 -0400

Tina,

I'm already doing that! About half the photos I sell are stock, the other
half prints for people who want art. Sold one to a publisher in Canada a
couple weeks ago for a book cover. Made enough to live for a month off it. I
agree on microstock, I can't believe people are so dumb to give away work
for pennies, when you can still get hundreds or even thousands for a single
image if the buyer wants it bad enough and its unique enough. If it were not
for the internet, I'd literally have starved to death, and my son too. Like
I said almost all young college educated men and women here are unemployed
and basically unemployable because no one here wants people for anything
requiring thinking skills.

I've shot weddings, but was not good at it. I do not have the social skills
for it. I am very socially awkward and do not do well around large
gatherings of people, but for outgoing normal people it is easier to make a
living doing that here in Indiana than doing photojournalism or commercial
work, since a lot of people here do hire wedding photographers when they
marry. I'm happy doing my artistic work, and as long as I make enough to
live and spend some money on my son for things he wants, I am good. The cost
of living is very low here so I don't need to make $100,000 a year. People I
know outside Indiana are always shocked when I tell them that you can rent a
NICE two bedroom apartment for $500 a month here! LOL

My son is happy too. His mom made a lot more than I do before she was
hospitalized, and she spent a lot of money on him, but he didn't care about
possessions. She was crazy and made his life miserable, and he's so much
more happy and outgoing and joyful now. When he came to live with me, he was
really quiet and withdrawn. It sucked, and I tried for years to get custody
of him. Here, a man never, ever gets custody of his kids unless the mother
goes to jail or gets put in the loony bin, no matter how bad she is. She
lived with 15 cats who peed on everything my son had and the court still
didn't give a damn. They finally had no choice but to give me custody cause
she was locked up! The system is really disgusting. I could rant about this
for hours....

You know what's funny? My grandpa's evil old cat, Molly, tried to warn me
about my ex when I first met her. We went to my grandparents house soon
after we began dating, and the cat instantly hated her! Attacked her 3 times
while we were there, and everytime we visited after, the cat would stare at
her and hiss. We say the cat was evil because she used to kill rattlesnakes
and bring the heads to grandpa, and she tore up the neighbor's pit bull in
an unprovoked attack on the dog (it was locked in a fenced yard, she went in
and attacked its face!). Shoulda listened to her, but then I wouldn't have
my son, and he's the best thing in my life.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography