Subject: [Leica] Used M9 prices
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:58:00 -0400

I couldn't afford your seminar even if you let me attend for free. The
travel costs alone are simply not a possibility for me. I live off my art,
and I make enough to support myself and my son, but little more. When I have
extra money, I usually spend it on him.

I am VERY thankful to have the income I have because the city I live in has
unemployment near 30%, and for men in my age group with university degrees
more than 60% are jobless. Leaving is not a possibility either. I moved back
here from Santa Fe, where I made a lot more money doing commercial work,
because my son's mother was locked up by the state in a psychiatric
hospital. I moved to Santa Fe because I couldn't earn a living in Indiana as
a photographer, nor would anyone hire me for a non-photo job. I applied for
more than 800 jobs after I earned by BFA in 1999 and got ONE interview! That
is very common for college grads here....the only jobs are doing
construction or factory work, and there's not much of that to go around.
After I moved to Santa Fe, I began earning money doing commercial work
almost instantly so I know my failure to make a living here before I moved
away wasn't a result of any failing on my part.

My ex is out of the hospital now, but I have kept custody of our son. State
law here says I cannot move out of state with my son without his mother's
permission, even though she's a nutjob, and she won't give it.

My son is 13 yrs old. The split second he graduates from high school, which
will be a couple months after he turns 18, we're both outta here. Until
then, we're living off my art only. There is NO commercial work here. My art
sells 100% to people outside Indiana. I highly doubt one can earn a dime in
Indiana with an M9. Even the wedding and portrait people here are all
hurting, and that's the easiest form of photography to earn a living at
because the demand for it is universal. Anyway, I am supporting myself and a
teenage son entirely from sales of my work off my website. I am proud of
that and I know there are VERY few photographers who could do that.

Maybe I'll buy a used M9 when I move back to Santa Fe in 5 yrs! In the
meantime, I have two M6 bodies and several lenses that I pieced together
here and there when I had some extra sales, and I am enjoying them greatly.
I actually gave my digital SLR, a Nikon D70, to my son because I never used
it. He's having a blast with it.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography