Subject: [Leica] Acorns
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:57:00 -0400

More trivial non-Leica worthy photos from the neighborhood. August still has
a few days to go and the ground is covered with acorns. I don't know if the
hot weather had anything to do with it but when we get an early acorn fall
it generally means a long, cold winter. I wonder if the "Farmer's Almanac"
has a proverb about that.

When acorns this size fall from a tall oak tree they can put a sizable dent
in the roof of your car.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Acorns+1.JPG.html

High winds knocked off a few twigs.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Acorns+2.JPG.html

A number of years back my wife tried making acorn bread like the pioneers.
The acorns have to be boiled first to get rid of the strong tannin taste,
then shelled,  dried, and pounded into flour. It makes a brown bread that
might be OK if you were starving. We never tried it again. Now we just throw
the acorns into a pile for the squirrels and deer. Tina, if you want to
expand your bread making horizons I can send you down a bushel.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from matthew at hunt.tc (Matthew Hunt) ([Leica] Acorns)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Acorns)