Subject: [Leica] Rainforests
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:39:48 +0530

Douglas, George, Jim
Thanks for looking. The Bonnet Macaque and its cousin the Rhesus  Macaque
are a menace - these two belong to a group of a few wild animals in India
that I am apprehensive and wary about (I am not scared of big cats at all!).
I have seen them bite people, grab carry bags and food from peoples hands,
etc. They seem to have zero fear of humans. In fact the Rhesus Macaque
terrorizes large swathes of our national capital, Delhi, taking advantage of
a normal Hindu's veneration of the monkey god, Hanuman, from one of our
national epics, the Ramayana. See:

http://vimeo.com/8580955

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/monkeys-are-machiavellian-too/

Luckily, the Lion-tailed Macaques seem to be quite peaceful - I was in the
middle of a group of 30-35, on foot, and they did not seem to mind at all. I
would never ever take that risk with their two cousins!

Cheers
Jayanand