Subject: [Leica] Anyone using Drobo
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:19:46 -0400

2010-09-11-09:53:45 A. Lal:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm in need of a new NAS box.  Looking at NAS boxes on the market
> the Drobo looks very interesting. Have any list members used the
> Drobo? If so, please comment, pro or con.

The Drobos are cute, but I swear by the Netgear (n?e Infrant) ReadyNAS
boxes.  I've used several generations of them, most having gone
through at least one drive replacement/rebuild cycle, for years
without (yet!) losing data.  They seem solidly engineered to their
price-points.  Pay less, and they're more likely to engineer in lower
performance than lower reliability (although the really big ones with
the redundant power supplies are bound to have an edge, I suppose).  I
know of a couple of radio stations which use ReadyNASses for internal
music archives, and I haven't yet heard any nightmare tales.  They're
pretty nice, solid devices.

  http://www.readynas.com/

One system administrator I know chose to buy another brand of array
because the ReadyNAS people weren't yet listing the latest,
highest-capacity drives he wanted to use in their
hardware-compatibility list.  I, on the other hand, took that as a
further reason to prefer a ReadyNAS: they actually try to test drives
for awhile before approving them.

I wouldn't consider an array with fewer than four drives, and note
that with six or more drives, you can choose to waste enough capacity
that the array should survive TWO simultaneous disk failures.  Cool.

Drobos have always seemed so cute and consumer-y I've had trouble
trusting them, but that may be just another of my many irrational
prejudices.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from alal at poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] Anyone using Drobo)
Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Anyone using Drobo)