Subject: [Leica] Anyone using Drobo
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:37:25 -0700

I have two Drobo units installed although neither are NAS. One is a 4
bay FireWire 400 unit and the other is a newer 5 bay eSATA/FireWire
800. Both have been very reliable.

If you are one of the people who like to play with software/hardware
then you will find other alternatives that will satisfy you more. For
me the Drobo units just work - they are "appliance" RAID units.
Increasing capacity means pulling out a disk and inserting a new one
of larger capacity. Since you do this "hot" it's a little scary the
first time. But after some period of time the rebuild is complete. In
the meantime you have full access to all of your data despite having
removed a drive. I currently am running 1TB and 2TB Seagate drives in
one and a selection of Western Digital green drives in the other (for
family reasons too complex to expound upon).

As far as I'm concerned they "just work." Which is what i want and need.

Adam