Subject: [Leica] Kyle's Digilux Bah! I have an Epson
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:17:01 -0700

kyle cassidy offered  on the LUG"
Subject: Re: [Leica] Kyle's Digilux Bah! I have an Epson

> Hey, I don't know why people want to come on the LEICA list and trash
> Leica by touting how many gizmos their new non-leica wizbang has. <<<<<<<

Hi Kyle ,
I agree with you about this constant comparison crap some of these posters
get hung up on, certainly when some of the pictures posted showing a
comparison are crap and should never have seen the light of day in the first
place... maybe it should be "never been exposed in the first place!"
Obviously only inrelation to technical things in question."

I don't trash Leica about their equipment, far be it for me to do that!
Certainly after at least 55 years of daily use during my assignment
photography about the world! When I trash them it's usually over management
ability than the equipment. And in doing so several years ago to a Leica
staffer, my somewhat severe comments of their lack to reproduce and their
motherhood abilities! He passed it onto the CEO of the day! OOPS! :-( Given
the comments were made in private and not expected to be passed on! Oh well
what the hell I still pump Leica gear while giving presentations and
teaching seminars. :-)

And Ted was off their "in person good guy list" over night and I still am .
:-) Actually in the end I was right... this CEO was gone... disappeared into
the furniture selling world again!

>>Even in the face of SIDE BY SIDE TESTS that compare the genuine Leica to
>>the Not Leicas -- You can't have forgotten, they were done by a prominent
>>camera magazine, I reproduce them here:<<<

I've shot litterly hundreds of thousands of images over the years, thats
work stuff. My collection of edited photos from original assignments
collection in the Canadian National Archives are 280,000 thousand... 99.9%
Leica images. And another 100,000 in the National Gallery of Canada! Again
the cream from the shoot! I'm without question, a non-techie person simply
because the most important part of any photograph for me is the "light &
content!" Not how many squigglies per whatever in comparison. Which in this
digital era gives me great pain learning a bigger sensor is definately a
better reproduced picture.... not a better content photograph!

Yep I've shot with Nikon, Canon and Hassies & one can see the difference,
but that doesn't make the "content any worse or better!" Because that's
determined by the guy or gal holding the camera, whatever it is!

However the reproduced print Leica frame does look different. Side by each
with another? A difference without question! Individually in different
rooms? It can be a tough call at times. I think lens to lens determines the
difference more than anything.

I never bought Leica gear with any thought of "gee whiz it's the best!"  But
I do admit I bought Leica simply because guys like Eisensdat was doing what
he did using Leicas, so if I use Leica's I'll be able to do the same! Yeah
and later we who fell ino the trap learned that wasn't the case at all... it
just comes down to the guy or gal holding the camera and what they feel in
their heart and soul that makes the difference.. The camera? Hell it just
records what the shooter feels simply because it doesn't have a soul, it'
just metal, plastic, glass and a card to record....... the photographer
gives it life and soul!

Sorry I'm on a run again.
cheers,
Dr. ted