Subject: [Leica] M9 questions (Geoff)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 01:26:04 -0400

If you're shooting jpegs nothing really matters much it's like you just
brought your pix to the cheapest drug store in the poorest neighborhood and
all you care about is you are saving a nickel a print for lowest common
denominator snaps..
While a jpeg is the worst case scenario non processing of an image you can
ever imagine a raw file is the neg we always dreamed about and never thought
we'd ever get. A neg that gives us a second chance and with a friendly happy
yet robust interface. - here you are shooting jpegs with a lens costing 4
grand and a body costing I forgot how many grand!
It's not a matter of "lets see now should I shoot a jpeg or a raw?" you set
it on raw and forget about it.

If you ever shoot a job where the deadline is a half hour before you even
shoot the picture and you are going to email the pix to the paper from the
nearest starbucks shoot a jpeg. Though if it was me I'd still not do it.
On the long shot a jpeg is an insult to your gear and a waste of time.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com