Subject: [Leica] Shipment from Overseas
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:34:24 +0200

Rubbish. There are duties agreed in the WTO, but quite low. Something in the
order of 3-4% on cameras and nothing on lenses, or the other way around, I
don't remember. When we Europeans receive a shipment from outside the EU,
the expensive part is not the customs duty but the VAT which is around 20%
in most countries. But Tina does not face this problem in the US, since
there is no federal VAT, and the state sales tax is based on her voluntarily
declaring her purchase to her state tax authorities, something which I bet
is easy to forget ;-)

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman