Subject: [Leica] "R" lenses on digital bodies
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:41:14 -0400

> I understand that the R/DMR is an option that today exists but going
> forward support is a concern.  I have worked with R6.2 bodies for many
> years with the R lenses and M6 bodies with the M lenses.  When digital was
> needed I would rent it, Canon normally.  With the M9 getting heavy, heavy
> usage I am ready to make full use of my R lenses and I do like full frame
> as well as CCD.  The DMR back has always looked interesting but I have
> never talked with anyone at length who owns one.  I wanted to get some
> real DMR user opinions.

Well, it was a good "solution" to the digital "problem", and ifff they had
been able to continue development, and source sensors etc I think it could
have gone on to be a viable option for those not needing "fast" frame
rates etc. I am in a quandry about where to go with the SLR. My Leica DMR
lenes etc are still worth "something", but the future looks limited. Cut
and run, stick to 10 megapixel/DMR till it dies, back up with film,
convert lenses to Sony/canon/nikon: all options, but none of them ideal.
The DMR is big and bulky its sensor is very accurate, but does give a
magnification factor to the lenses, the files are big and slow to write,
with very limited buffer. For slow shooting its fine, for low ISO its
fine, for the quality of the lenses, I think the sensor should be 15 to 20
meg: the M9's sensor would be perfect, but it will not happen

Cheers

Alastair