Subject: [Leica] "R" lenses on digital bodies
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:34:49 -0500

I've loved the R8 as my SLR for quite some time.
The view finder is bright.
The ergonomics are perfect for my hands.

The DMR delivers the superb fine detail and micro contrast the R lenses are
capable of;
as well as usable dynamic range significantly greater than my 5D
The DMR is a very capable tool.
The CCD sensor delivers crisp "film-like" image files.
It is the "only" digital solution which maintains complete system integrity
with R lenses.

The R8/DMR is large and heavy (as are the lenses - as you already know)
in most cases this feels like a plus to me.

Down sides:
lousy battery life (but folks are working on solutions).
no new batteries available (folks are working on rebuilds).
lacks high ISO performance (as do most CCD sensors)
400 is very useable (800 is the next choice and requires careful processing)
and
for some the crop factor of 1.37

If you have specific questions I'll try and answer them.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com