Subject: [Leica] DMR do-it-yourself battery refurbishment
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:40:29 -0400

having replaced the cells in two quantium turbo batteries a leica F2 motor
drive and a Leica D1h battery, I'm fairly confident that refurbishing a DMR
battery is something that most people who feel comfortable with a soldering
iron could do. The battery, or what most of us think of as "the battery" is
just a plastic housing which holds a number of actual battery cells in
place. These things are usually not proprietary and some place like Maxxprod
(http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-8a.html) can probaby hook you up with a set
of the actual batteries to put in the plastic case.

Googling around I may have found a photo of someone who's done it:

http://tinyurl.com/2aj7s3k

though i don't know what the original dmr battery looks like -- it's a
question of finding the right replacement modules, removing the dead ones,
and soldering on new ones.

If someone's got a dead battery they'd loan out I'm willing to have a go at
cracking it open, though I'm sure there are people on this list more
qualified than me -- electrical engineers even.

kyle

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] DMR do-it-yourself battery refurbishment)
Message from gpinkcp at msn.com (Gary Pinkerton) ([Leica] DMR Battery Information)
Message from jnelon at netvigator.com (James R. Nelon) ([Leica] DMR Battery Information)