Subject: [Leica] M/V Star Aquarius 90 Cron R on D700
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:38:51 -0400

Howard - You tried I'm sure doing some work with the R lenses stopped down?
Because some say its quite doable. The image stays bright in the viewfinder.

Here's a historical tidbit I just found:
"1958 the Minolta SR-2 was the first SLR camera with an automatic diaphragm
which maintained maximum aperture for brightest viewing and stopped down
only when the picture was taken."

Me I started buying Popular photography magazines and boring through them
cover to cover around 1964. I still have my 1964 Popular photography annual
with the gravure center. May have been even a 1963. I was 12 or 13.

Back to pre history: I read in the many columns of my monthly Popular
photography magazines the columnists with their personalities I absorbed
some of whom have been working photographers awhile. And while most got
swept up but the Nikon f tsunamis a few held on to what they were already
working with.
In 1959 The Nikon F comes out there are lots of guys out there shooting
everyday with their cherished non automatic diaphragm glass they they swore
by. A Minolta SR-2. Besides the Minolta shooters already out shooting and
happy with their gear were the even more proliferous Exakta shooters.
http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Exakta
And I remember many of them wanted to know what the big fuss was about why
they had to stop using their cherished glass that they'd been using for
their Exakta  system in the 1950's.  Non automatic diaphragm glass.
Who needs an automatic diaphragm? they asked. I'm doing fine right now!
They'd say.

My point is not only can it be done, non automatic diaphragm shooting it can
be done day in day out 24/7.
At least one guy on the LUG David Rogers does it all the time and shows his
jpegs to us from it. I'm sure others have. You can stop down and keep
shooting.

My main main point is that although a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED
VR II Lens is an awsomely capable tool I sure Hate to see somebody "trading"
a Leica 135mm f3.4 APO-TELYT-M for it.

That's like saying you want a BMW but you don't "trade in" your Bentley for
it. Because they you don't have your Bentley and what is the point of life?

A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR you can shoot an elephant charging
at you and scamper out of the way at the last minute I'm sure but do it with
a 135mm f3.4 APO-TELYT-M you don't care if you live or die. You've just gone
to heaven anyway getting a shot with such blazing micro contrast and who
knows what you can't even believe it. The gnomes from Solms don't fool
around.

Less trading please. More use of piggy banks.

http://photodevoto.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/known-history-of-photography-a-t
imeline/
Or
http://tinyurl.com/28tfwno