Subject: [Leica] 35 Summilux question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:22:24 -0400

http://en.leica-camera.com/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_1748.pdf
An 83 page pdf;
Leica M-Lenses Their soul and secrets by Erwin Puts.

Turn to Page 35 for today's reading

" From f/2.8 both the Summilux and the Summicron have a very similar optical
?fingerprint?. Indeed the performance is so similar at medium apertures that
one is inclined to assume that the Summilux is a Summicron design opened up
just one stop too far. The higher inherent flare level of the Summilux
reduces the rendition of very small details in the field more than the
Summicron does. The performance of the Summicron- M is excellent and would
be called outstanding if the Asperical version did not exist."

The above an out of context quote to be sure so go to page 35 after you
download the thing which takes 7 seconds and read the surrounding
paragraphs. He takes each version of the 35mm Summicrons and Summilux' s one
by one.

I look at the whole thing this way: For someone becoming a photographer...
We have in hand a current seven thousand dollar camera body.
In the front of it that's not where I'd get creative. Not everybody is going
to be sold in "the Glow" I'd start out with a bread and butter lens which
was at least putting the best cutting edge current image making optic there
is.

S. Gandy says pre ASPH Summilux' s  were made in limited qualities so are in
store for being put in the category of "collectors items".
http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

I'd put my money not on collector value glass but shooter value glass.
A camera is a life support system for the lens. A lens choice is not a time
to get quaint its a time to break the bank.
Start out the image making clarity. Then later experiment with interesting
fingerprints.
The Glow fingerprint you get wide with 35mm pre ASPH Summilux actually
replicates an actual smeared thumb print of Oscar Barnacks on the outer
element of the lens. I think its in the optical formula.
This the effect gets called the "glow". But people put Barnack on a pedestal
they think he's some angel or something. Its producing an image with
artifacts you just don't want to have to explain to people.
Stop down one it goes away. And you have a Summicron. Which is the best lens
to get anyway. Leica is Summicron.
It's a pity the ASPH versions of the 35mm Summicron and Summilux are not
virtual pancakes like the pre apsh versions and have quite a bit more bulk
and weight. If I was a gentleman photographer out nurturing my own
interesting quirks and not being responsible for bringing back a image
somebody is paying for and or to be used in the media I'd search the Leica
books which I have for the coolest lens to put in front of it with a real
out of the ordinary look in both the images it makes and how it looks on the
camera..

A fairly current Leica Asph renders astounding images which can be cropped
till the cows come home or be enlarged hugely. Amazing clarity
And the reason why you get a Summilux instead of a Summicron is to use it at
f 1.4.
Both Summilux and the Summicron ASPH's have cool concave outer elements
which make it harder to catch stray fingerprints. And are real conversation
starters. "hey! How come you have an innie and I have an outie?"
But the concave shape can catch lint. So bring a compact Featherbrush
http://www.gordonbrush.com/feather-brushes.html

I'd start out with the best lensI can finance then later on after I'd made
some money off it I'd then experiment with offerings from the galaxy of
options out there.
Instead of Barnacks finger print somebody really out there....
RICHARDO MANITOBAN As Khan Noonien Singh in The Wrath of Khan.
The Klingons made great glass; except if they made it on a Friday.

A fairly current optic from Leica really is a step up from all the other
peoples stuff the are turning in with their Canon's and Nikons. You have
them really psyched out and they know it.
But with interesting relic of past optical engineering in front of that
camera maybe not. As they feel they are competing against a collector.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb