Subject: [Leica] So - DMR or Nikon D700 and Leitax adapters?
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:30:24 -0800

However, 1, 4 and 6 will also give you troubles with exposure.  3 gives you
a super crop, and if you have wides, they won't be so wide anymore.

I am at a crossroads and almost to an epiphany.  I got to handle a D7000
(not 700) yesterday on a trip to Seattle and fell in love.  I have been
wanting to upgrade my RebelXTi for a few reason.
1.  Hate the metering problem with Canon and Leica lenses.
2. Hate the viewfinder.
3. Hate the low  light performance.
4.  Want a few more pixels for cropping leeway.

And I would like to retain:
1. minimal weight
2.  crop factor, as it is an advantage for macro (effective 160 APO 2.8
Leica glass - WOW)

So, I had been looking at the Canon 7D as it appeared to be the next game in
town because the Nikon D300 was a bit too heavy for me.  However, I love the
pictures it takes as my father-in-law has one.

Then Nikon announces the D7000.  Scarcer than hen's teeth in Yakima.  I
finally got to hold one.  I like the 7D's ergonomics and viewfinder a bit
better, but other than that, I think the D7000 will fit the bill quite well.
I had ordered a cheap Leitax imitation just to see what it would do, and it
came today (drats).  So, I did not have any manual glass to try on the D7000
yesterday.  I converted my 50/2.0 this AM and also had ordered a Nikon to
Canon EOS adapter, so today I shot my Leica glass, converted to Nikon, and
adapted to my Canon EOS Rebel.  I am half the way there.  Want to just
confirm that the exposure problem with Canon does not exist on a Nikon, then
I think I will take the plunge.  And thinking of converting my Rebel to IR,
and then with adapters, I can use my Leica glass on both cameras.  Slick
compromise, if I do say so myself.

So, after a year of thought I think skipping #1, 4 and 6 is the way to go.
For the reasons above, I am not looking at a DMR, even thought I have an R8.
My only regret is that if I convert  all my Leica glass to Nikon, I will not
be able to use my R8 at all.

Aram