Subject: [Leica] Canon non-linear metering
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:05:58 -0800

OK.  Here is a quick demonstration of what a Canon camera does with a Leica
lens as far as metering goes.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/meter+comparison.jpg.html

Nothing fancy, just the wall in my room.  Shot raw on my Rebel XTi with
absolutely no post processing, so not very photogenic, but gets the point
across.

Set camera to Aperture priority mode.  Opened lens, 50 Sumicron, to 2.0 and
took a shot.  Meter showed as centered.  Stopped down one stop and took
another, meter still showing as centered.  Repeated all the way to f-ll, and
meter still shows the camera is picking an appropriate shutter speed to keep
meter centered.  As you can see, from f-4 on, the meter is not choosing the
correct shutter speed.  It starts to over expose and continues to do so more
and more.  If I had gone to f-16, it would be even more overexposed.

So, the only way to get consistent results is to meter wide open in manual
mode, then count down to the f-stop you want, and adjust the shutter the
same number of counts, ignoring what the meter is telling you.  It will say
you are underexposing the shot, but it will be the correct exposure when you
see the picture.

Clear???

Aram

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Canon non-linear metering)