Subject: [Leica] Canon non-linear metering
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:46:47 -0800

George.  Not true, at least on a Rebel.  I would get the same results in
manual meter mode as I get in Aperture priority.  If in manual mode I zero
the meter reading in, it will still overexpose beyond f-4.  No difference.
I'll do it and post results.

My workflow consists of metering wide open in manual mode, then, if I stop
down, say 4 stops, I need to turn the shutter to 4 stops lower and ignore
the meter.  It will NOT be zeroed in.  I will read close to 2 stops
underexposed, yet the photo will turn out correctly exposed.

I have used a few other brands of Canon cameras, up to and including a 7D
and it behaves the same way as my Rebel.  I have not used a full frame
Canon, but I find it hard to believe that it also will not behave the same
way, but I take your word for it.

Aram

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Canon non-linear metering)