Subject: [Leica] The perfect Photographer
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:38:08 -0800

Sonny Carter offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] The perfect Photographer

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Jeff Moore <jbm at jbm.org> wrote:
>
>> 2010-12-16-17:38:53 tedgrant at shaw.ca:
>> > Jeff,
>> >
>> > This is a damn fine photograph depicting a photographer on a ladder
>> > at work! That's all it is, as simple as that. Like where is your
>> > mind?
>>> mmmm.  I think my mind is with Jeff on this one Ted.  As Bill points
>>> out, no
> camera.<,,,

OK guys and ladies, I suppose I over reacted a tad.

However in my defense:  I suppose not many of you have worked along side
Brit media photographers during a royal tour or similar situation, where
darn near all of them carry a set of steps as we see in this photo.

In any event I had absolutely no re-action to not seeing a camera, as I knew
exactly what it was! A photographer taking a picture!   Simply because I've
seen the butt ends of lots of photographers in a mass shoot out during a
Royal tour with these type of steps are quite a normal thing in Europe!

My reaction? I saw nothing more than a photographer on steps shooting into a
crowd. Sure the butt end was the point of the photograph and I wouldn't have
hesitated for the blink of an eye in shooting exactly the same scene! It's
called "Life on the streets of the world!" Not like it was a scene in a
church or other religious situation. Damn now that ought to start a whole
new series! :-(

The butt end wasn't really any thing at all, as I suppose I've seen lots
butt ends of fellow photographers in exactly this position. Quite frankly
they're really a pain in the, if you'll pardon my expression... "A big pain
in the ass!" Because when you have 15 - 20 or more photogs forming a kind of
wall up on steps, you really do see nothing but a bunch of asses! All
clothed mind you! ;-)

I have absolutely no feeling towards any kind of embarrassment what so ever,
nor that the photo is embarrassing in any fashion. I suppose it's "Too each
his own."

My re-action such as it is........... It's just a shot of a butt that if I
were shooting street stuff my re-action at the moment would have been
exactly as Lluis,  "CLICK!" Kind of smiled and moved on looking for next bit
of street life.

And please do not bring up any kind of twisted angles that I'm disrespectful
of a woman or women! Simply because I was brought up by firm parents about
respect of ladies in holding doors, ladies before men, give your seat on the
bus or street car to any lady! And the list goes on! So don't bring that in.
And I can offer being respectful of the woman birthing in the OR on how you
act as not to cause her any embarrassment.

So ladies and gentlemen, and Jeff;  an apology for the blast off in the
first post. But I will not apologize in saying I would have shot exactly the
same scene if I were there! Or anywhere in the world when this type of day
to day life moment occurs!  Keep it simple.... It's just using the "Art of
Observation!" CLICK!

Thank you.
Good night.
cheers,