Subject: [Leica] Any chance there is a DMR out there for sale? S2
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:50:39 -0800
References: <00e101cb9f09$045fa450$0d1eecf0$@earthlink.net> <C932AC13.7F84%mark@rabinergroup.com> <AANLkTimskuzjhf=umqYgvs73rRQL0jcnVsdYkp8nnrv-@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikvfYQBpngAgMn4CND-345On=yjL_36G8SeufA+@mail.gmail.com> <4D0D59EB.4080904@csdco.com> <4B445D1BB4B84107AA8D88A1BB4CA1E6@syneticfeba505> <4D0D7D4A.2040308@csdco.com> <AANLkTi=Y0=Bk4-ciNSTBJaN6M=Xg9-zXx4=pGZ4Z-AHG@mail.gmail.com> <A3916640D03E453C98E8EBEC41FB3D28@syneticfeba505> <4D0E9074.2000109@csdco.com> <770B95F0F18942D0978A0AE90011A504@syneticfeba505> <4D0E97A9.7080107@csdco.com>

John Nebel offered

> Ted,
> > My R3 never failed until after I'd given it away, although I heard later
> > on
> that there was a problem with the flexible circuit strip in some of the
> R3s which rendered them effectively unrepairable. /lug for more
> information<<<<<<

As I understand it crapped out more than it kept going. There were also
excellent reports much like yourself who never had a problem.
Others????????? AAAAACCCCKKKKK! Disaster after disaster! Returned for
repair, arrive back from Leica Canada and out of the box a wreck again!  A
friend of ours had 4 or 5 R3 bodies exchanged before she got two that seemed
to work on a regular basis.

I think they were in a change over time of manufacturing that created many
of the problems. Equally so, some of it carried over into the R4's. I had
one of those that was back and forth across Canada like a yo-yo between my
office in Victoria on the west coast and LEICA Canada. in Toronto! There
were two times it arrived back and right out of the box it never worked
properly.

The last time it turned out I was going to Toronto the next week on
assignment. So I called and gave them an ultimaintum... "A replacement new
camera or I would smash this one into smithereens in front of the national
media on their office front steps.  They thought I was kidding.

Nope it was a useless camera, so what the hell was the difference? I might
as well smash it to pieces for publicity maybe receiving a new properly
working camera body. I arrived in Toronto, the LEICA executives offered me a
free lunch while the "technical staff" looked at the crappy body. I again
explained unless they gave me a new body I would smash this one to pieces in
front of TV cameras and still's photogs from the national wire services....
"THEY THOUGHT I WAS JOKING!"

SURPRISE!! :-) When we arrived back from lunch, sure enough there were the
local Toronto news photographers, a reporter, a couple of wire service
shooters and reporters, along with several TV network camera crews.

"Hey Ted when you going to do this smashing thing?" I explained the
situation, new or smash! Meanwhile some of the LEICA people stood by, others
went inside. After a few minutes of waiting the senior guy came out with a
new camera in box with a great explanation that "LEICA, we look after our
customers very well when any difficulties arise." And with that he handed me
the new camera..
Obviously the news crews were ticked off as they wanted a smashing good
scene of violently destroying a multi thousand dollar world famous camera to
little pieces. It didn't happen and they all left bitching about wasted
time. Me?

I smiled and left with my newly replaced R4 camera! :-) And yes it worked
like a dream as all LEICA's do. MOST OF THE TIME!" ;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted  ;-)

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Any chance there is a DMR out there for sale? S2)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Any chance there is a DMR out there for sale?)