Subject: [Leica] Well, that was educational
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 06:48:10 +0000

Been there and done that myself.  I had the same experience as Ted when
I submitted some prints to the RPS and decided there and then not to
pursue any of the accreditations any further.  I felt that they were
easy to get of you followed the formula laid down by the 'Fellows' of
the RPS.
After leaving a bit bruised, I thought about it and decided that from
then on I would take pictures for *ME*, NOT for the RPS.  If others like
them, then that's fantastic.  If they don't, then that's fine too.

I love to receive constructive criticism.  I remember when Barry
Thornton taught me to print in B&W.  He would make all sorts of gentle
suggestions of how to improve a print by altering the grade, a touch of
burning here, dodging there or a slight crop.  A couple of times he
would reject a picture out of hand, but he did so with a good reason and
was almost always right.

It sounds like your portfolio is there or there abouts.  Why not try
tweaking a few of them to see how they look?  The most important thing
to remember though is that they are *your* images and only show them if
you are satisfied with them.  Sod's law will almost certainly guarantee
that if Gallery Owner A says they aren't punchy enough, B will say they
are too punchy and so it goes on.

And don't forget that prints will look different depending on the
lighting conditions where they are hung.

One last thing.  Those XPAN shots you showed a few weeks back? You know
the ones of the trees in the mist?  If there's ever a set of prints
crying out to be beautifully printed and put up for sale then it's these.

Best of luck!

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK