Subject: [Leica] Computer Woes
From: daniel at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 21:25:58 +0100
References: <AANLkTimjS=bSe9qTq+EUEzw=_btKB9=8DkrhU4AcOWuB@mail.gmail.com> <E171B1FA-FD82-4A07-9905-5D1C1709DD8F@gmail.com> <8AF81171-6276-4C77-9ED3-B7A8A8F60FB8@sfr.fr> <02ac01cba372$e436b1a0$aca414e0$@earthlink.net> <AANLkTi=myk3odrf7Xuw3Qcgfm56=uKvFDzaeqFOqzLXH@mail.gmail.com> <02cb01cba394$7ac02090$704061b0$@earthlink.net> <AANLkTi=gNmTXCxzdU3ULigfyHoR3re34nzKK2z=S+cKK@mail.gmail.com> <02cc01cba39c$7b981060$72c83120$@earthlink.net>

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Frank Filippone <red735i at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> You have Windows running, on which you place several virtual Windows
> copies......?

Actually, we don't I just said we could. We have Ubuntu running and
have several snapshots of Windows installations to test our software
on before we market it (XP, XP 64 bit, Vista (ditto 64 bit), Windows
7, we don't support Windows 95 or Millenium but it doesn't matter,
since our customers don't use it).

I just mentioned the possibility since you remarked that one needed a
Mac to do the same thing. Another company I worked for actually did
use Windows to run VMWare and then run several other versions of
Windows to test on. It's a looooootttt simplier than installing a
virgin Windows and then doing testing, believe me.

> I understand for testing, but for the average ( and you could read that as
> .. not nearly as sophisticated as the average IT Professional.....) user,
> is
> this not a bit.... complicated?

If this technology existed when my kids were at home and we were
"blowing" Windows about once a year because of all the stuff they
installed, uninstalled, installed, uninstalled etc until the Windows
machines went down on their knees "Dad, it's time to blow windows".
You bet I'd use it. I think that may very well be the situation for
man average parents with kids in the 12 - 15 bracket (after that, they
can do it themselves).

It's not complicated at all. You just click on a snapshot and start
from there. Takes less than 30 seconds to start with a fresh windows
machine.

> BTW I suspect the number of LUG members that run Linux or any version of
> something other than Windows on their PC is probably a bit low.....

As I said, no matter. Just install VMWare on Windows instead of Linux
or something else.

> I think we need to focus on things that some Joe Average Homeowner can
> actually do to further his "experience" in Windows.....rather than his
> frustration.

Not possible. Windows is frustrating. But I do think it's gotten a lot
better with Windows 7. Seems that way anyway.