Subject: [Leica] Sushi, Laphroaig, and the Edinburgh Castle
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 05:55:27 -0500

I remember my first Laphroaig, at a wonderful place called the Edinburgh
Castle in San Francisco, a bar that was I think sort of a rallying point for
the NoCal Scottish expat community...or so my slightly juvenile soul, newly
imported from an upbringing in Ohio, wanted to think. Fish and chips wrapped
in pages from the Examiner, and a parrot in a cage by a portrait of Winston
Churchill. Brian must know the place. I think it's defunct now.

My Scotch experience was also at a juvenile stage at that point, and when I
sniffed the aroma of the shot of L. that a friend was urging on me with a
knowing grin, I was put in mind of summers as a kid when my playmates and I
would walk down the railroad tracks, and the fragrance of the creosote
preservative from the railroad ties baking in the hot sun would come up to
sting my nose.

I mentally chuckled at such an improbable metaphor...until I quaffed the
brew, and stopped chuckling. It really WAS creosote. Undoubtedly the most
memorable first sip of anything, unless that title goes to my first taste of
beer at age 10 or so (as with Laphroaig, it was a wonder to me that anyone
would electively spend money and actually enjoy drinking the stuff). Later I
came to rather different realizations about beer. Don't think that will
happen with the L.? "strained peat bog water with paint stripper" indeed!

Oh yeah?as of the present time, also my LAST Laphroaig.

?howard